TARALUCCI al LIMONE
Italian Lemon Cookies
- COOKIE DOUGH RECIPE :
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- generous pinch of salt
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cups granulated sugar
- ⅔ cup canola oil (vegetable or sunflower oil is also fine)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- LEMON GLAZE
- 2½ cups icing sugar
- 5 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt and set aside.
- With a stand mixer or hand held mixer, beat the eggs and sugar together for about 1 minute.
- Add the oil, vanilla extract, the lemon zest, lemon juice and mix until combined.
- Mix in the flour mixture beating for 1 minute til the dough is thoroughly combined.
- The dough should be soft and pliable at this time.
- Cover with saran wrap and let the dough rest for 15 minutes. (this will make it easier to roll)
- If the dough is still too soft, after the resting time, simply work in a little more flour, just enough to roll the Taralluci.
- Transfer the dough to a work surface.
- Cut off pieces of dough, about the size of a golf ball and roll out into a log about a ½ inch wide and 6 inches long.
- Twist the dough to form a loop inserting one end through the loop while forming a knot.
- Place on prepared cookie sheet;
- Repeat with remaining dough, spacing the cookies about 2 inches apart on the cookie sheet.
- I was able to fit 12 onto each pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 18 minutes. When done the cookies should be pale in color with edges slightly brown.
- Let cool on wire rack
- LEMON GLAZE
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together the icing sugar and lemon juice.
- Transfer the lemon glaze to a smaller bowl for easy dipping.
- Dip cookies one at at time in lemon glaze, letting excess glaze drip off.
- Place cookies on cookie rack till glaze is completely set.